Monday, May 20, 2013

Rice Krispes; Painful, yet artistic...

Today was an interestingly painful day at the Cake Mama's. When I first arrived, I was greeted by the aroma of freshly baked cake and the hellos of my fellow workers. As soon, as I asked for my first duty from my mentor, Ashley McNeal, she told me that I had a list of fondant numbers that had to be done. Thankfully, I had some of the number already cut out, ready to be glittered, as the orders had said. After constantly cutting a variety of numbers, wring them so they could stand, and glittering them different colors to match the theme, I was giving the task of sculpting towers of rice krispes.

 This sounded like an easy task at first. I went to the kitchen to grab the appropriate sized cake tins to create the correct shape and size of rice krispy towers. The first tower was going to be transformed into a pineapple for a spongebob cake, which to me sounded a bit strange because it did not resemble a pineapple at first, but Ashley had reassured me that it would be transformed into the desired shape. The next two towers became quite difficult to mold. As I took out more rice krispies to make the last two towers, I found out that I would be using a lot more treats than expected. One after the other, I used treats to form these towers, and soon, I realized that my hand started to tingle and have a feel of scratches on the skin, and as time passed, I realized that it took me about 5 trays to treats to create 3 towers.

No comments:

Post a Comment